This year marks two special anniversaries, the 100th anniversary of the Polish Home Association (PHA) in Seattle and 100 years of Poland regaining its Independence. At times, histories of both ran in parallels and were often interconnected. For a century, PHA has been a cornerstone for Polish community in Seattle maintaining traditions and supporting events that defined the restoration of independent Poland.
Our Centennial Celebration is a time to mark this milestone, celebrate our heritage and look forward to the next century of working with new generations to come. Special activities marking this anniversary began this year and will run until November 2018.
Ways to celebrate
Here are just a few ways you can join in and commemorate this historic milestone:
- May 6, Commemoration of 3rd of May Constitution @Polish Cultural Center
- July 7, Polish Festival Seattle @Seattle Center
- October- Seattle Polish Film Festival @ SIFF Cinema
- November 10, Gala Dinner, @Polish Cultural Center
Ongoing projects include:
- Centennial anniversary book that documents the history and achievements of the Polish Community in the Seattle area. The book will be published in June this year and available for the public to purchase.
- Historical Exhibits installations and artistic contest depicting the centenary.
- Documentary video containing interviews of the elders of our community, members of various immigration waves, activists from Polish organizations.